Friday, September 17, 2010

My first week in Swiss Schule!(school)

There are a lot of things that I think America should copy Switzerland on. . .the chocolate definitely, the bus system is better for the environment, and all the architecture is way better here. But there is one thing that America does better. And that is school! It might be an exaggeration to say that the school I am at is like I died and went to hell, but in many ways that is exactly how I feel when i am there. The teachers are not friendly. They act like your presence is extremely annoying, they didn't even know you were joining their class, and they pretend that you aren't even there. Today in Chemistry there weren't enough chairs so I ended up sitting in the corner on the floor. The teacher didn't even offer to get me a chair. I also feel like I am NEVER in school. You have two plus hours for lunch. The classes only last forty five minutes or so then you have a fifteen minute break at least. Often during the day I have an hour in between classes to do nothing. And when I am in class I can't understand anything so I sit there in hysterical boredom. I don't see how the Swiss kids learn anything in this school structure. It's too relaxed. The good thing about school has been my class though. You are with the same group of people all day. Together you change rooms for different subjects but it's the same people. Through the week I made note of what occurred. 1. The teachers can't say my name! the "van" sound just doesn't work with a German accent! With my German teachers(which is like what English is in our school) we spent at least five minutes trying to pronounce my name then another five minutes trying to say Missouri. Then my geography teacher asked me where I lived in the US. I said Missouri then he asked me if I was from New Orleans? Umm not quite!! But every time I say I am from Springfield everyone gets really excited because of The Simpsons. Which is nice for me=) I don't mention that almost every state has a Springfield or that The Simpsons isn't from just one place. 2. When the teacher is absent you don't have to go to class. NO substitutes! How weird is that??? It's a total waste of time too in my opinion. 3. The first question I was asked by my classmates "So, you're American. Do you like to party?" I am starting to believe people base way to much about America from American Pie and Gossip Girl. 4. Everyone I have met tells me that I look like Miley Cyrus!!! Idk if it's the hair or the lips or the fact that we are both American but here I am known as the look alike ex Hannah Montana. This worked in my favor tonight though. All the girls have been so great and they invited me to go out with them tonight. We were at the 'kugl" and we had a clever scheme. How do you get free red bulls? Well you send Savanna up to some Swiss guy and she says " Hi! I'm from the US and I can't speak German at all. But I am so thirsty! And I can't order or read the menu ( look sad and bat your eyelashes) Do you think you could buy me a drink??" And wallah! A few Swiss guys later and everyone has a free drink. Ahh the beauty of being an exchange student. That's all for now :) Oh. . .p.s. to all Glendale students! My chemistry teacher looks JUST like Mr. Yonke! It's totally creepy! I'm starting to believe all science teachers have a secret code book that tells them they must wear the same style shirts. . . Oh and go Glendale tonight! Beat the poo!!!

1 comment:

  1. Savy...just an FYI...the scam you guys pulled at the kugl will work for many years to come for you no matter if you can or can't speak any language! ...lol....

    ReplyDelete