Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Fish Cake & Shout Out


I love it when my host mom buys food that is worthy of being photographed! (remember the turtle?) And this one even comes with a history lesson. This cake is from a city called Wil. In Wil there used to be a castle where the King of St. Gallen lived. Around the castle there was a moat(spelling?sorry English is getting so bad!). In the moat? there were fish. When they would have to fast from meat for holidays or whatever, the priests still always ate fish from the moat. Even though isn't that still technically meat?? This is the part of the story where my host dad says "they also weren't supposed to get married but they had plenty of children". So I guess now they make a cake, in Wil, shaped like a fish to symbolize the religious people not doing what they are supposed to do? Are you confused? Yeah I was too. Then again translating the story from German to English there is a highly likely possibility that I miss something ;) But historical or not, it was GOOD=)



Also a shout out to Aunt Cindy and Uncle Tom! Thank you so much for the birthday card. And so efficient! Two weeks early:) Mom never lets me open things early. And it came just in time for me to download Christmas music. I have to start early due to the lack of Thanksgiving. LOVE IT. And Cooper is absolutely adorable! Can't wait to meet the little guy :) Love and miss you guys!<3

No comments:

Post a Comment